Musicology and the MDA
Musicology and the MDA are back together in hopes to raise money for many MDA campers!
In this issue and issues to come we will feature one MDA camper. We will learn about each camper and continue to learn about the benefits of supporting this great organization.
Last year we raised over $2,000. With your help we hope to exceed that number and brighten the lives of those associated with MDA.
You can donate at www.musicologyschoolofmusic.com under the Donate to MDA section.
MDA’s summer camp program, which is offered at no charge to families, helps bring smiles and hope to about 60 Alabama children and hundreds of children across the country each summer.
Kids like B.J. look forward to this one barrier free week all year! At MDA Summer Camp, everything is adapted to what they can do. They are constantly encouraged and celebrated as they dance, swim and fly!
Student Showcase at Madison Street
October 3rd 2015
Yay! Our fall showcase is just around the corner!
This year our students will be performing at our booth at the Madison Street Festival in downtown Madison!
We will have a sign up sheet with available times sometime in September. Be sure to stop by, grab a spot and join the fun!
Musicology School of Music
Closed Labor Dar
September 28th – Oct 3rd
Student Showcase @
Madison Street Festival
Halloween Room a Treat / Rock Band Costume Party
Nov 25th - 27th
Closed Thanksgiving Break
December 6th & 7th
Christmas Student Showcase
December 24 - 26
Closed for Christmas Holiday
December 31st - January 1
Closed for New Years
Student of the Month:
1. What instrument do you take at Musicology? Piano
2. How long have you taken lessons? 4 years
3. What are your hobbies, besides music? I like to play sports like football, basketball, baseball, and soccer.
4. What is your favorite food? Cheeseburgers
5. What is the coolest thing you’ve learned in your lessons in the past 3 months? Playing with rhythms
6. What do you like about your teacher? Quentin is funny and cool
Teacher of the Month:
1.What are the things you like the most about teaching? I love the feeling when a student is able to conquer a difficult technique or song. It’s a great feeling to know I helped them reach that goal. And teaching is great because I get to play music all day and share my love of music with others.
2. How do you inspire students to practice more? Well, for starters i keep candy in my studio... it comes in handy. My students always have their eye on it. However, in all seriousness i try to inspire/challenge my students to practice more by encouraging them and trying to help them see how much they have improved after consistent practice, and I try to show them the rewards of practicing... which sometimes includes choosing a prize from the famous Candy Box.
3. What part do you feel that playing or singing in a group has in a student’s development? Well, music enages the entire brain, and has many benefits both physical, and mental. But as far as playing and singing together music can be a bridge, so to speak. Its an easy way to connect to others and build strong lasting friendships, while engaging the mind in something beautiful and constructive.
4. What is your favorite type of music? I like folk, classical, indie, rock, jazz... I like it all really. It’s hard to pick a favorite. It depends on what day it is. Haha
Group Make Up Class Schedule for September
Beginning Piano: September 12th @ 9am September 24th @ 6:30pm
Intermediate Piano: September 11th @ 4pm September 19th @ 11am
Beginning Guitar: September 4th @ 4pm September 12th, 19th @ 1pm
Intermediate Guitar: September 5th, 26th @ 1pm September 14th @ 6pm
Beginning Voice: September 5th @ 4pm September 17th @ 6:30pm
Intermediate Voice: September 12th, 26th @ 4pm
Beginning Drum: September 4th @4pm September 26th @ 9am
Intermediate Drum: September 19th @ 9am
Mallet: September 5th @ 9am
Strings: September 17th @ 6:30 pm
Musicology School of Music teaches over 500 students a week from the Huntsville / Madison area.